Johnson lifts Louisiana-Lafayette past Troy 69-54
LAFAYETTE, La. (AP)—Tyren Johnson scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds as Louisiana-Lafayette defeated Troy 69-54 on Saturday night for its fourth win in five games.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (8-11, 5-3 Sun Belt Conference) shot 50 percent (15-for-30) in the first half to take a 37-25 lead and never led by less than seven points in the second half.
They held Brandon Hazzard of the Trojans (10-10, 5-4), who came in as the Sun Belt’s leading scorer at 18.3 points per game, to two points on 1-for-8 shooting.
Chris Gradnigo added 17 points for Louisiana-Lafayette, which finished 48.1 percent (26-for-54) from the field to Troy’s 35.7 percent (20-for-56) and also outshot the Trojans from the free throw line, 73.3 percent (11-for-15) to 37.5 percent (6-for-16).
Richard Delk, with 19 points, was the only Troy player to score in double figures.
- Harvard defeats Yale 69-59
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality