Southern Illinois beats Illinois State 81-80 in OT
CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP)—Anthony Booker’s layup with a minute remaining in overtime held up as the winning basket as Southern Illinois defeated Illinois State 81-80 on Saturday.
Illinois State led 80-77 after Osiris Eldridge’s jumper with two minutes to go in the extra period, but the Redbirds didn’t score again. Justin Bocot made a pair of free throws with 1:43 left and after Eldridge missed a jumper, Booker scored for the Salukis.
Eldridge, who finished with 16 points, missed three shots in the final minute for Illinois State. The game saw 15 ties and 17 lead changes.
Kevin Dillard led Southern Illinois (11-7, 4-5 Missouri Valley) with 18 points. Bocot had 14 points and eight rebounds.
Dinma Odiakosa and Tony Lewis also scored 16 points for Illinois State (14-6, 5-4), which forced the overtime on Lloyd Phillips’ free throws with 30 seconds left in regulation.
- Kyrie Irving intends to finish his college degree in five years
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- Arkansas using overseas trip to help mesh overhauled roster
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges