Elon ends 9-loss streak, beats Chattanooga 83-80
ELON, N.C. (AP)—Drew Spradlin scored 30 points and Chris Long 25 as Elon ended a nine-game losing streak by defeating Chattanooga 83-80 on Saturday night.
The Phoenix (4-15, 2-6 Southern Conference), whose last win came at Chattanooga on Dec. 5, overcame a 33-19 Mocs lead with a 20-0 run and led 48-39 at halftime.
Chattanooga (11-9, 3-4) got back in front, 59-54, with 10:20 left after a 10-0 run and it remained close the rest of the way.
Ridge McKeither’s layup gave Chattanooga an 80-78 lead, but Adam Constantine’s free throw and Terrance Birdette’s fast-break layup put Elon ahead 81-80 with 41 seconds to go.
After Tyrone Patterson, who scored a career-high 28 points, missed a 3-pointer for the Mocs, Long’s two free throws gave the Phoenix a three-point lead.
Josh Odem and Keegan Bell both missed 3-point tries for Chattanooga that would have tied the game.
- Elon ends 9-loss streak, beats Chattanooga 83-80
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four