Drake wins 5th in row, downs Wichita State 78-64
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Josh Young scored 20 points as Drake extended its winning streak to five games with a 78-64 victory over Wichita State on Saturday.
Seth VanDeest scored 17 and Adam Templeton and Ryan Wedel 13 apiece for the Bulldogs (10-11, 5-4 Missouri Valley), who made 22 of 40 shots (55.0 percent), including 7 of 13 from 3-point range. They also made 27 of 33 free throws, paced by Young’s 11-for-11 effort.
The Shockers (17-4, 6-3) were led by Clevin Hannah’s 19 points. He was supported by 16 from JT Durley and 15 from Toure Murry. But Wichita State shot only 39.3 percent (22 of 56) and went 9-for-29 from long distance.
Drake scored the game’s first seven points and led by as many as 16 in the first half, which ended with the Bulldogs on top 36-24. Wichita State got no closer than five in the second half.
- Drake wins 5th in row, downs Wichita State 78-64
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four