Iona holds off Manhattan 56-53
NEW YORK (AP)—Rashard McGill scored 13 points, Jermel Jenkins had a key steal and Kyle Smyth sank a pair of late free throws to secure Iona’s 56-53 win over Manhattan on Friday night.
With Iona leading 54-53 with 17 seconds left, Manhattan inbounded the ball looking for the final shot. The Jaspers got the ball to Rico Pickett, their leading scorer on the night with 22 points, but sophomore guard Jermel Jenkins stripped him of the ball before he could get a shot off.
Kyle Smyth, who finished with 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds for the Gaels (14-6, 6-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), hit his only two free throw attempts of the game with 2 seconds left for Iona’s final margin.
Both Iona and Manhattan were 10-for-16 from the free throw line in the contest (62.5 percent).
Darryl Crawford added 17 points, including nailing three 3-pointers, for the Jaspers (7-12, 2-7).
- None of Melvin Turpin's ex-teammates saw his suicide coming
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game