Iona holds off Manhattan 56-53
NEW YORK (AP)—Rashard McGill scored 13 points, Jermel Jenkins had a key steal and Kyle Smyth sank a pair of late free throws to secure Iona’s 56-53 win over Manhattan on Friday night.
With Iona leading 54-53 with 17 seconds left, Manhattan inbounded the ball looking for the final shot. The Jaspers got the ball to Rico Pickett, their leading scorer on the night with 22 points, but sophomore guard Jermel Jenkins stripped him of the ball before he could get a shot off.
Kyle Smyth, who finished with 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds for the Gaels (14-6, 6-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), hit his only two free throw attempts of the game with 2 seconds left for Iona’s final margin.
Both Iona and Manhattan were 10-for-16 from the free throw line in the contest (62.5 percent).
Darryl Crawford added 17 points, including nailing three 3-pointers, for the Jaspers (7-12, 2-7).
- Santa Clara 85, San Diego 73
- Iowa State suspends Jameel McKay for violating team rules
- Brey: Notre Dame not intimidated by No. 2 North Carolina
- With Krzyzewski back, Duke looks to return to being Duke
- Florida State G Dwayne Bacon regains confidence after slump
- Sherrod sets record; Yale beats Columbia 86-72