Mount St. Mary’s, Md. 60, St. Francis, NY 63
NEW YORK (AP)—Akeem Bennet scored 12 points, including a tie-breaking 3-pointer with 1:18 remaining, and St. Francis (N.Y.) held on for a 63-60 victory over Mount St. Mary’s (Md.) on Thursday night.
Bennet’s trey broke a tie at 58-all, and Ricky Cadell, who finished with 11 points, sealed the win for the Terriers with a late layup for the final margin.
The Terriers (8-10, 5-2 Northeast Conference), who defeated the Mountaineers 61-58 last Thursday in Emmitsburg, Md., have now won three consecutive conference games.
After leading for nearly the entire contest, the Mountaineers tied the score at 58-58 with 1:53 left on a 3 by Will Holland. That’s when Bennett answered with a 3 of his own.
The Mountaineers (5-13, 2-5) trimmed the deficit to 61-60 with 49 seconds left on Shawn Atupem’s layup, setting up Cadell’s late jumper.
Atupem and Jeremy Goode scored 14 apiece for the Mountaineers.
- Mount St. Mary's, Md. 60, St. Francis, NY 63
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four