Valparaiso edges Illinois-Chicago 64-58
CHICAGO (AP)—Brandon Wood scored 16 points to lead four teammates in double figures and Valparaiso defeated Illinois-Chicago 64-58 Thursday night.
Howard Little scored 14 points, Michael Rogers 11 and Brandon McPherson 10 for the Crusaders (9-11, 4-4 Horizon). Cory Johnson had nine points and 12 rebounds for Valparaiso, which won despite shooting just 32 percent from the field in the game.
K. C. Robbins led the Flames (5-13, 1-7) with 14 points. Jeremy Buttell scored 13 and Chris Buchanan 11 for UIC, which shot 40 percent.
The Crusaders made up the difference at the free-throw line, going 26-for-34 compared to 10-of-17 for Illinois-Chicago.
Valparaiso led 33-26 at halftime and hit just five field goals after that, but scored 20 points at the foul line in the second half.
- Mississippi State allows fans to vote on new court design
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case