New Mexico State beats Hawaii 71-69 in last second
HONOLULU (AP)—Jahmar Young hit an 18-foot jumper with 0.9 seconds left to give New Mexico State a 71-69 victory over Hawaii on Thursday night.
Young finished with 26 points on 11-of-23 shooting for the Aggies (12-7, 5-1 Western Athletic Conference). They also got 19 points from Jonathan Gibson, 10 points and 12 rebounds from Wendell McKines and 12 points and nine rebounds from Hamidu Rahman.
Roderick Flemings led the Rainbow Warriors (9-10, 2-4) with 23 points and 10 rebounds.
After Young made an 8-footer to give the Aggies a 67-66 lead with 1:08 left, Gibson sank two free throws to make it 69-66. Hawaii’s Hiram Thompson tied the game with a 3-pointer with 12 seconds to play before Young hit his game-winner.
Hawaii held a 40-28 halftime lead and led by as many as 14, but the Aggies opened the second half on a 17-2 run to pull ahead 45-42.
- Syracuse avoids being first No. 1 to lose to 16
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- Arizona's Talbott Denny injures knee, out for season
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims
- UNC Asheville-Syracuse Preview
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Calipari hosts charity softball for Louisiana flood relief
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Former Butler basketball star Joel Cornette dies at age 35