Eastern Kentucky downs Chicago State 74-50
RICHMOND, Ky. (AP)—Justin Stommes scored 16 points, Josh Taylor and Papa Oppong added 15 apiece and the trio combined for 12 of Eastern Kentucky’s 15 3-pointers in the Colonels’ 74-50 win over Chicago State on Tuesday night.
Eastern Kentucky (14-6), which entered the game averaging 41.1 percent from long range and 10.2 3-pointers a game, shot 41.7 percent (15-for-36) from beyond the arc. Oppong was 5-for-8 from 3-point range—4-for-5 in the first half— while Taylor finished 4-for-6 and Stommes 3-for-8.
The Colonels shot 45.8 percent (27-for-59) overall to win their fourth straight game.
In the first half, 10 of Eastern Kentucky’s 14 baskets were 3-pointers. The Colonels also held the Cougars (5-15) scoreless for the last 6:57, using a 17-0 run to turn a four-point game into a 40-19 halftime lead.
Christian Wall scored 13 points to lead Chicago State, which has lost eight straight.
- Leonardo DiCaprio and his many college caps
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?