Stony Brook defeats UMBC 81-69
STONY BROOK, N.Y. (AP)—Brian Dougher scored 23 points and Stony Brook defeated Maryland-Baltimore County 81-69 on Monday night.
The Seawolves (12-7, 4-2 America East Conference) outrebounded the Terriers (1-17, 0-5) 50-24 with Dallis Joyner grabbing 12 and Tommy Brenton 11 for Stony Brook.
The Seawolves scored 40 points in the paint and 15 second-chance points.
UMBC was 2-for-7 from the field and had four turnovers early as Stony Brook took a 22-7 lead on Brenton’s free throws with 11:56 left in the first half.
The Retrievers pulled within 50-45 with 15:57 remaining on Adrian Satchell’s layup, but Stony Brook scored seven straight to pull away. Dougher’s layup gave the Seawolves a 57-45 lead with 13:10 remaining.
Muhammad El-Amin added 20 points, Brenton 14 and Chris Martin 12 for Stony Brook.
Chauncey Gilliam had 24 points for the Retrievers and Shawn Grant added 11.
- Billy Tubbs: Joining the Big 12 should help TCU basketball
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Former Butler basketball star Joel Cornette dies at age 35
- Hamilton signs with Texas Tech after 3 seasons at DePaul
- Georgetown-Syracuse December game to honor Pearl Washington