Kennesaw State 62, S.C.-Upstate 66
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP)—Mezie Uzochukwu had 13 points and 12 rebounds to help South Carolina-Upstate defeat Kennesaw State 66-62 in overtime on Sunday.
Trailing 56-53 with 4:39 left in overtime, Nick Schneiders made a layup and Pat Posey followed with another to put the Spartans up—for the first time since 14:10 left in the first half— 57-56 with 2:58 left in overtime.
The Owls (6-12, 1-6 Atlantic sun) answered on Kurtis Woods’ jumper to regain the lead, but South Carolina-Upstate (2-15, 2-6) jumped back on top on a three-point play by Uzochukwu.
Kennesaw State’s Spencer Dixon tied the score for the final time, 60-60, on a jump shot with 1:52. The Spartans closed it out on six straight points, beginning with a 3-pointer by Ryan LeGates. Uzochukwu added a free throw and Josh Chavis had two more as South Carolina-Upstate snapped a 10-game losing streak.
Dixon paced the Owls with 15 points.
- Kennesaw State 62, S.C.-Upstate 66
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four