Drake easily defeats Illinois State 69-59
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Josh Young scored 18 points and Adam Templeton finished with 17 points and 14 rebounds as Drake defeated Illinois State 69-59 Sunday night.
The Bulldogs (8-11, 3-4 Missouri Valley) took command of the game early then held on in the closing minutes.
Osiris Eldridge scored 26 points, all in the second half, to lead the Redbirds (13-5, 4-3).
Drake, which never trailed, took a 16-6 lead on a 3-pointer by Templeton with 7:31 left in the first half and led by double digits the rest of the way. The Bulldogs were up 35-15 at halftime and then scored the first five points of the second half for their largest advantage, 40-15.
Illinois State put together runs of 10-1 and 9-3 in the second half but couldn’t get any closer than 12 until the final minute.
Ryan Wedel added 14 points for Drake.
- MWC Preview: New Mexico’s Daniel Faris projects the league
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions