Western Carolina holds off Elon 83-81
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Brandon Giles scored 25 points and Western Carolina held off Elon in an 83-81 win on Saturday night.
Mike Williams finished with 15 points for the Catamounts (14-3, 4-1 Southern Conference), who have won two in a row. Harouna Mutombo had 11 points, and Kendall Russell and Richie Gordon each had 10.
Western Carolina took a 62-53 lead on Williams’ layup with 11:10 left in the second half. The Phoenix (3-14, 1-5) attempted a rally, cutting the Catamounts’ lead down to one point with 3:08 left on a 3-pointer by Chris Long, who finished with 15 points.
But Elon would never pull ahead of Western Carolina, as the Catamounts took an 82-78 lead on Giles’ three-point play. Giles went 8-for-12 from the floor and 4-for-7 from beyond the arc.
Drew Spradlin led Elon with 22 points, while T.J. Douglas hit seven 3-pointers to score 21.
- Western Carolina holds off Elon 83-81
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four