Texas-Pan American defeats Chicago State, 63-42
EDINBURG, Texas (AP)—Matt Mierzycki’s game-high 16 points helped lead Texas-Pan American over Chicago State 63-42 in Great West Conference play on Saturday.
Mierzycki came off the bench to go 5 for 7 from the field and 6 of 7 from the free-throw line. Jared Maree added 12 points and Aaron Urbanus had 11.
The Broncos (3-16, 1-0) were outrebounded by the Cougars (5-14, 0-2) 39-24. The Cougars grabbed 22 offensive rebounds but struggled shooting the ball making only 14 of 51 from the field (27.5 percent) and just 1 of 15 from beyond the arc (6.7 percent).
Despite the large margin in rebounding the Broncos were able to outscore the Cougars in the paint 26-12.
Christian Wall led Chicago State with 13 points. Carl Montgomery had 8 points and six rebounds, five of which were offensive boards.
Texas-Pan American led 26-21 at the half before going ahead by as many as 22 points in the second half.
- Texas-Pan American defeats Chicago State, 63-42
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four