Louisiana-Monroe defeats Denver 64-53
MONROE, La. (AP)—Rudy Turner scored 19 points and Louisiana-Monroe defeated Denver 64-53 on Saturday.
The Warhawks (8-11, 3-5 Sun Belt Conference), who trailed by as many as 13-4 with 13:30 to go in the first half, rallied to a 28-28 tie at halftime. Louisiana-Monroe used two runs to pull away from the Pioneers (12-7, 5-3).
The Warhawks scored five straight points to lead 33-28 on Turner’s layup 2:01 into the second half.
Denver tied the game at 35-35 on Chase Hallam’s 3 with 16 minutes remaining, but the Warhawks scored eight straight to pull away. Dynile Forbes’ free throws gave Louisiana-Monroe a 43-35 lead with 11:09 left.
Tony Hooper scored 14 points for the Warhawks and Tommie Sykes added 11 points and 10 rebounds. Forbes had five steals for Louisiana-Monroe, which improved to 7-2 at home.
Hallam had 13 points and Brian Stafford added 12 for the Pioneers.
- Louisiana-Monroe defeats Denver 64-53
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense