Central Conn. State beats Sacred Heart 88-65
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (AP)—Shemik Thompson scored a career-high 27 points as Central Connecticut State snapped a six-game losing streak with a 88-65 victory over Sacred Heart on Saturday.
Chris Baskerville posted his first career double-double, scoring 14 points and grabbing 10 rebounds for the Blue Devils (5-12, 2-4 Northeast Conference). Devan Bailey also had a career-high with 12 points, and Markeys Deans had 12 as well.
Leading by just one point early, the Blue Devils used a 15-2 run over a span of 4:44 to take a 28-14 lead with just over 10 minutes to play. During the run, Deans and Bailey hit a 3 apiece and Thompson tallied seven points.
The 14-point advantage was the largest lead of the season for Central Connecticut State.
Corey Hassan scored 19 points to lead the Pioneers (10-7, 3-3).
The teams meet again in Fairfield, Conn., on Thursday.
- Central Conn. State beats Sacred Heart 88-65
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?