Appalachian State defeats UNC-Greensboro 72-64
BOONE, N.C. (AP)—Donald Sims scored 21 points and Appalachian State defeated North Carolina-Greensboro 72-64 on Saturday.
The Mountaineers (10-7, 4-2 Southern Conference) trailed 49-47 with 8:36 to play, before going on a 15-2 run. Sims’ 3-pointer capped the run for a 62-41 lead with 2:48 remaining.
Jeremi Booth scored 12 points, Isaac Butts grabbed 11 rebounds and Andre Williamson had four blocks for Appalachian State, which won its third straight.
The Mountaineers shot 50 percent (9 of 18), compared to 35.1 percent (13 of 37) by the Spartans (3-15, 2-5) in the second half.
UNC-Greensboro used a 14-3 run to lead 27-23 on Mikko Koivisto’s 3 with 3:28 left in the first half. The Mountaineers responded with a 9-4 run to lead 32-31 at halftime.
Ben Stywall paced the Spartans with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Koivisto and Brian Cole added 11 each for UNC-Greensboro.
- Appalachian State defeats UNC-Greensboro 72-64
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament