Jones, Portland State top Northern Colorado 85-69
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—Melvin Jones scored a game-high 18 points to lead Portland State to an 85-69 victory over Northern Colorado on Friday night.
Dominic Waters scored 16 points for the Vikings (8-9, 3-2 Big Sky), and Julius Thomas had 15 off the bench. Jamie Jones added 11 points and 13 rebounds for Portland State, which beat Northern Colorado for the 11th straight time and snapped the Bears’ six-game winning streak.
Will Figures led Northern Colorado (15-4, 4-2) with 12 points. Chris Kaba added 11, while Devon Beitzel and Neal Kingman each scored 10.
Portland State jumped to a 12-2 advantage and never trailed. They put the game away early in the second half with a 16-5 run and led 58-42 with 12:46 to play after Jones connected on a 3-pointer. Northern Colorado never got closer than eight the rest of the way.
The Vikings outshot the Bears 41 to 39 percent.
- Jones, Portland State top Northern Colorado 85-69
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four