Loyola of Chicago thwarts Illinois-Chicago 55-50
CHICAGO (AP)—Geoff McCammon scored 26 points, going 6 of 7 from 3-point range, to lead Loyola of Chicago to a 55-50 victory Friday night in its crosstown rivalry with Illinois-Chicago.
McCammon won a shootout with Robo Kreps, who led Illinois-Chicago with 20 points. No other player on either team hit double figures.
Courtney Stanley had seven assists for the Ramblers (12-5, 3-4 Horizon League), who broke a three-game losing streak. Brad Birton grabbed 10 rebounds for the Flames (5-12, 1-6), who lost their fourth in a row.
The Ramblers held edges of 42.9 percent to 30.5 percent in shooting and 41-31 in rebounding.
Loyola led 42-34 with 13:03 left. UIC tied it 46-46 on Kreps’ 3-pointer with 8:41 to go.
But the Flames went scoreless over the next 5:57, with eight missed shots and two turnovers, while the Ramblers went ahead 52-46 and never trailed again.
- Loyola of Chicago thwarts Illinois-Chicago 55-50
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown