N.C.-Asheville 97, VMI 84
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Sean Smith scored 20 points to lead six North Carolina-Asheville players in double figures as the Bulldogs knocked off Virginia Military 97-84 on Thursday night.
J.P. Primm added 17 points and UNC-Asheville (4-12, 2-4 Big South Conference) held off VMI (5-10, 1-5) down the stretch to snap a six-game losing streak.
VMI, which entered leading Division I in scoring at 90.8 points a game, cut UNC-Asheville’s lead to 85-80 on Ron Burks’ layup with 3:42 left. The Bulldogs, however, scored the next eight points, getting 3-pointers from Smith and Matt Dickey to lead 93-80 with 2:03 remaining.
The Keydets were 5-for-35 from the 3-point line.
John Williams scored 16, Chris Stephenson had 15 points and nine rebounds, Dickey scored 12 and Jaron Lane added 10 for UNC-Asheville.
Stan Okoye had 21 points and 10 rebounds, Keith Gabriel scored 19 and Austin Kenon added 11 for VMI.
- John Calipari takes on ESPN writer, or vice versa
- No. 5 UCLA dominates offensive boards to edge No. 4 Arizona
- Brown leads Miami past No. 10 Duke, 55-50
- Paschall, Jenkins lead No. 2 Villanova past No. 23 Creighton
- Wagner leads Michigan over No. 14 Purdue 82-70
- Kansas clinches 13th straight Big 12 title outright