N.J. Tech 53, Texas-Pan American 66
EDINBURG, Texas (AP)—Aaron Urbanus and Matt Mierzycki scored 13 points apiece to lead Texas-Pan American to a 66-53 victory over NJIT on Thursday night in the Great West Conference debut for both schools.
Luis Valera added 11 points and a game-high eight rebounds for the Broncs (2-16, 1-0), who broke an 11-game losing streak.
Chris Flores scored 16 points and Isaiah Wilkerson 10 to lead the Highlanders (5-12, 0-1), who have lost four straight.
Both teams scored 19 baskets, including four 3-pointers. However, Texas-Pan American converted 24 of 31 free throws, while the Highlanders hit 11 of 21.
The Highlanders, who fell to 1-10 away from home, led 27-26 at halftime.
But the Broncs nudged ahead 36-35 with 12 minutes to go and gradually stretched it until the game-ending margin was their largest.
This is the inaugural basketball season for the Great West.
- Notre Dame eyes history, shot at upsetting No. 1 Kentucky
- Arkansas wonders if 2 best players will return next season
- Coach K vs. Coach K with Duke and Utah in Sweet 16
- Tennessee fires men's basketball coach Donnie Tyndall
- Michigan St.-Oklahoma Preview
- Frustration wanes amid another March run for Izzo, Spartans
- Arizona outlasts Xavier 68-60 to reach West region finals
- Malone enjoying anonymity at end of Kentucky's bench
- Florida's Frazier makes it official, declares for NBA draft
- West Virginia returns bulk of team next season
- St. John's basketball coach Steve Lavin out after 5 seasons
- North Carolina's season ends in NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16
- UCLA-Gonzaga Preview
- Bo knows when not to change a thing; can Irish slay Goliath?
- Kentucky overwhelms West Virginia 78-39 in NCAA Sweet 16
- Top-seeded Wisconsin hangs on to beat North Carolina 79-72