Smeulders propels Portland past San Diego 63-54
SAN DIEGO (AP)—Robin Smeulders scored 19 points and hauled down nine rebounds to lead Portland to a 63-54 victory over San Diego on Thursday night.
Luke Sikma, son of former NBA star Jack Sikma, had 14 points for the Pilots (10-6, 1-1 West Coast Conference). T.J. Campbell added 11.
Brandon Johnson led the Toreros (8-11, 1-2) with 19 points.
The teams were tied for the eighth time, 38-38, early in the second half when the Pilots went on an 11-3 run and took a 49-41 lead with 5:53 left.
San Diego went nearly four minutes without a basket in the middle of the second half and during one stretch connected on just 1 of 15 shots.
Portland had a 31-30 lead at the half, which featured six ties and nine lead changes.
San Diego shot a woeful 8-for-28 (28.6 percent) in the second half.
Portland dominated the boards 37-25.
- Smeulders propels Portland past San Diego 63-54
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?