St. Francis, NY 61, Mount St. Mary’s, Md. 58
EMMITSBURG, Md. (AP)—Ricky Cadell scored 21 points and Justin Newton hit two late free throws, leading St. Francis (N.Y.) in a 61-58 win over Mount St. Mary’s on Thursday night.
Akeem Bennett added 11 points for the Terriers (6-9, 3-2 Northeast Conference), who shot 48.9 percent for the floor (22-for-45).
The Mountaineers produced just a 34.5 mark (20-for-58).
Cadell converted a three-point play to put the Terriers up 57-54 with just over 3 minutes to play. But Kelly Beidler’s layup capped a 4-0 run over the course of 2 minutes to put the Mountaineers ahead.
Bennett dropped in layup of his own to put St. Francis ahead 59-58 with 40 second left and Newton’s foul shots sealed it.
The Mountaineers missed a pair of 3s, a layup and turned the ball over in the final 25 seconds.
Beidler scored 15 for the Mountaineers (4-12, 1-4).
- St. Francis, NY 61, Mount St. Mary's, Md. 58
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four