Conyers scores 16 as Akron holds off Ohio 67-62
ATHENS, Ohio (AP)—Jimmy Conyers had his fourth career double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds as Akron held off Ohio 67-62 on Wednesday night.
The Zips (12-4, 2-0 Mid-American Conference) have won eight of their last nine games, while the Bobcats (9-7, 0-2) have lost three of their last four.
Akron led by as many as 13 points in the first half and took a 36-30 lead into the break. Armon Bassett, who tied his career high with 25 points, scored six of Ohio’s first nine points in the second half to help tie the score at 39. The Bobcats built a four-point lead that dwindled to 57-56, then the Zips used a 9-2 run to pull ahead for good.
Bassett, who was 9-for-10 from the free throw line, hit the second of two foul shots with 27 seconds left to draw within 65-62, but Brett McKnight hit two free throws to clinch the win.
Akron, which leads the league in made 3-pointers (7.4), was 6-for-20.
- Letter besmirching Jimmer inspires hilarious Facebook thread
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims