Creighton slips past Southern Illinois 71-69
OMAHA, Neb. (AP)—Antoine Young’s driving basket with 1.3 seconds left gave Creighton a 71-69 win over Southern Illinois on Wednesday night.
The shot over two Saluki defenders saved the Bluejays (8-9, 3-3 Missouri Valley) from a late collapse on their home floor. Justin Carter led Creighton with 19 points.
Gene Teague scored 14 points to lead Southern Illinois (9-6, 2-4).
Tony Freeman hit a 3-pointer with 1:19 to play to pull the Salukis within 69-67, and Kevin Dillard tied the game with 35 seconds left after Justin Bocot blocked a shot by Carter at the other end.
Creighton held the ball from there, and Young dribbled down the right side of the lane and put up a shot as time ran down.
The win was the 400th at the Division I level for Creighton coach Dana Altman. Altman has coached 21 combined seasons at Marshall, Kansas State and Creighton.
- Purdue unveils new logo that’s strikingly similar to its old one
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case