Sanders scores 31, VCU defeats Hofstra 81-68
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP)—Larry Sanders scored a career-high 31 points to lead Virginia Commonwealth to an 81-68 win over Hofstra on Tuesday night.
Sanders, the Rams’ leading scorer at 14.7 points per game, missed the Delaware game on Saturday while serving a one-game suspension for a flagrant act in VCU’s loss at Drexel last week. He was 11-for-13 from the field and 9-for-12 from the free throw line with five rebounds and three blocks.
The Rams (11-4, 3-3 Colonial Athletic Association) took a 40-25 halftime lead after scoring 14 points on 10 turnovers. Free throws were the difference in the second half, with VCU making 19 of 24 to finish 23-for-30 from the line. The Pride (9-9, 2-4) hit 6 of 8 foul shots in the second half and 9 of 12 for the game.
Joey Rodriguez added 21 points and six assists for the Rams.
Charles Jenkins scored 23 points to lead Hofstra and Cornelius Vines added 17.
- Sanders scores 31, VCU defeats Hofstra 81-68
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- Arizona team breakdown