Alabama A&M defeats Mississippi Valley St. 72-56
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP)—Cornelius Hester scored 24 points to lead Alabama A&M to a 72-56 win over Mississippi Valley State on Monday night.
Bo Amusa added 13 points for the Bulldogs (4-8, 1-3 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who snapped a five-game losing streak.
Alabama A&M led 32-24 at halftime, but used an 11-2 run in the second half to go up 61-43 with 3:36 remaining for their largest lead of the game.
Julius Cheeks and Shannon Behling led the Delta Devils (2-14, 1-2) with 11 points apiece.
MVSU shot 32.1 percent from the field (18-for-56) and 63.6 percent from the free-throw line (14-for-22). The Delta Devils also turned the ball over 24 times, with Kevin Burwell committing 11 turnovers.
The Bulldogs were outrebounded 41-37, but benefited from 19 second chance points.
- Alabama A&M defeats Mississippi Valley St. 72-56
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament