Butler defeats Detroit in OT, 64-62
DETROIT (AP)—Gordon Hayward scored 17 points and Butler defeated Detroit 64-62 in overtime Sunday.
Shelvin Mack scored with just under a minute remaining in the extra period for the game’s final points. Chase Simon’s basket had put Detroit ahead 62-60 with three minutes to go in overtime but the Titans didn’t score again.
In regulation, Detroit led 55-54 as time ran down. Hayward was fouled, made one free throw to tie the game but missed one that would have won it at that point.
Mack had 10 points, as did Willie Veasley and Matt Howard for Butler (12-4, 5-0 Horizon).
Simon scored 23 to lead all scorers for Detroit (11-6, 4-2). Xavier Keeling had 14 points and nine rebounds, and Thomas Kennedy scored 12 for the Titans.
- Butler defeats Detroit in OT, 64-62
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- The 12 most intriguing (or confusing) hires of the college basketball coaching carousel
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done
- Memphis AD's statement on rash of transfers badly misses the mark