Chicago St. 43, Utah Valley St. 48
OREM, Utah (AP)—Corey Claitt had a game-high 20 points as Utah Valley was able to defeat Chicago State 48-43 on Saturday night in the Great West Conference opener for both teams.
Jordain Scoubes added nine points and eight rebounds for Utah Valley (7-8, 1-0).
Chicago State (5-12, 0-1) was led by Carl Montgomery’s double-double, 14 points and 11 rebounds. Victor Scott added 12 points.
Chicago State led 27-19 at the half. The Wolverines opened the second half with a 15-5 run to take a 34-32 lead with 10:49 left. The Wolverines would lose that lead and trail most of the way until the final 55-seconds when they went ahead 43-41.
This win snaps a three game losing streak for Utah Valley and extends their home winning streak to four. This is also the fourth consecutive win for the Wolverines over Chicago State.
The Cougars have now lost their last nine road games.
- Chicago St. 43, Utah Valley St. 48
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2