Palmer lifts Corpus Christi to 64-59 victory
CONWAY, Ark. (AP)—Kevin Palmer scored eight points during a late 10-0 run by Texas A&M Corpus Christi as the Islanders defeated Central Arkansas 64-59 Saturday in the Southland Conference opener for both teams.
Palmer, who finished with 23 points, hit a pair of free throws with 1:50 remaining to break a 51-51 tie and send Corpus Christi on its game-deciding run. Eight of the 10 points for the Islanders came from the free-throw line—a dunk by Palmer being the lone basket. Palmer was 6 for 6 from the line during the stretch.
Demond Watt added 12 points and 11 rebounds for Corpus Christi (6-8).
Chris Poellnitz had 17 points and Mitch Rueter 14 for Central Arkansas (6-9), which hit only 3 of 14 free throws in the game.
The Bears scored the first eight points of the game and led 29-20 with 2:50 left in the first half before Corpus Christi went on an 8-0 before halftime.
- K-State may be 'selfish and silly,' but its coach is just intimidating
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- No. 9 Virginia pulls away from Pitt 64-50
- Forbes leads No. 10 Spartans to 89-73 rout of Michigan
- Garino scores 27 as George Washington beats VCU, 72-69