Winthrop holds off Liberty 65-62
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP)—Mantoris Robinson scored 16 points, including sinking three free throws in the last 8 seconds, as Winthrop held off Liberty 65-62 on Saturday.
Kyle Ohman converted a three-point play to put Liberty up 60-59 with 39 seconds remaining in a back-and-forth second half. But Winthrop’s Andre Jones knocked down a 3-pointer 12 seconds later, and Robinson went 3-for-4 from the charity stripe in the final seconds.
Robinson was the lone double-figure scorer for the Eagles (7-9, 3-3 Big South Conference), who shot just 41.8 percent from the floor (23-for-55).
The Eagles scored 21 points off of 20 Liberty turnovers and outrebounded the Flames 32-29. Winthrop outscored Liberty 17-8 on second-chance points.
Ohman paced the Flames (8-9, 3-2) with 20 points.
Winthrop has won two straight games after dropping five in a row.
- Winthrop holds off Liberty 65-62
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?