Western Michigan dumps Eastern Michigan 61-47
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP)—David Kool scored 19 points and Western Michigan got off to a hot start to beat Eastern Michigan 61-47 in a Mid-American Conference opener Saturday.
Mike Douglas added 10 points and Martelle McLemore had a game-high 12 rebounds for the Broncos (9-5, 1-0.)
Carlos Medlock scored 16 points to lead the Eagles (8-6, 0-1).
Western Michigan shot only 34.5 percent (19 of 55), but that was much better than the Eagles’ 26.4 percent (14 of 53).
The Broncos broke on top 22-4, and the Eagles did not manage double figures until Medlock sank a free throw with 3:23 left in the half to cut it to 29-10.
Western Michigan led 31-18 at the break.
The Eagles closed within 31-24, but the Broncos put up a 13-5 run to make it 44-29 with 12:02 left, and the lead stayed in double figures the rest of the way.
- Missouri coach Mike Anderson leaves for Arkansas
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win