Memphis defeats Southern Mississippi 59-57
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP)—Willie Kemp made a pair of clutch free throws with 5.2 seconds left to propel Memphis to a 59-57 win over Southern Mississippi on Saturday night.
Elliot Williams scored 33 points, making 11 of 19 shots from the field and 8 of 12 from the 3-point line to lead Memphis (11-4, 1-0 Conference USA).
Southern Miss (9-6, 0-2) climbed back from a 41-26 halftime deficit to make the game close in the waning minutes, but Kemp’s free throws sealed the win for the Tigers.
A futile 3-point shot by Southern Miss’ Gary Flowers never left his hand in time as the final second ticked off the clock.
Maurice Bolden led Southern Miss with 13 points.
The win was the 62nd straight Conference USA victory for Memphis, which hasn’t lost a regular season or conference tournament game since a 80-74 defeat to Alabama-Birmingham on March 2, 2006.
- Memphis defeats Southern Mississippi 59-57
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown