Clavell leads Stephen F. Austin to 66-57 victory
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP)—Gilberto Clavell had 21 points and 12 rebounds Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 66-57 victory over Stephen F. Austin in the Southland Conference opener for both teams.
Josten Crow added 14 points and 14 rebounds for Sam Houston (9-5), which prevailed despite making only 10 of 19 shots from the free-throw line and 4 of 18 from 3-point range.
Eddie Williams led Stephen F. Austin (10-4) with 20 points. Jordan Glynn added 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Sam Houston led 29-22 at halftime, but SFA battled back to take a three-point lead with 14:27 to play in the second half.
After 10 lead changes, the last with 6:26 remaining, the Bearkats ended the game with a 16-8 run. Preston Brown scored the go-ahead basket on a jumper to give Sam Houston a 50-49 lead.
- Clavell leads Stephen F. Austin to 66-57 victory
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game