Old Dominion cold at line but beats Hofstra 57-46
NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Keyon Carter scored 14 points and Frank Hassell grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds as Old Dominion overcame a horrible start at the free throw line to defeat Hofstra 57-46 on Saturday.
The Monarchs (12-5, 4-1 Colonial Athletic Association) won their 17th consecutive home game despite shooting 3-for-15 on free throws in the first half.
They improved in the second half, however, making 11 of 19, including 4-for-4 during a 10-2 run that gave Old Dominion a 48-38 lead with 7:36 remaining after the Pride (9-8, 2-3) had pulled within 38-36.
Hofstra didn’t get nearly as many free throw opportunities, going 6-for-10 for the game.
Neither team shot particularly well from the field, Hofstra making 35.8 percent (19-for-53) to Old Dominion’s 33.3 percent (20-for-60).
Charles Jenkins scored 18 points to lead Hofstra.
- Old Dominion cold at line but beats Hofstra 57-46
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?