Mercer defeats East Tennessee State 83-78
MACON, Ga. (AP)—James Florence scored 22 points and Mercer beat East Tennessee State 83-78 on Saturday, the first win in nine series meetings for the Bears.
Jeff Smith added 17 points, E.J. Kusnyer had 15 and Daniel Emerson 13 for the Bears (8-8, 4-2 Atlantic Sun Conference), who have won four straight games.
The Bears led 73-53 with 4:42 remaining in the game, but the Buccaneers went on a 25-10 run the rest of the way.
Strong shooting kept Mercer in front, especially in the second half. The Bears were 7 of 13 from 3-point range (53.8 percent) in the second half and were 12-for-28 (42.9 percent) for the game from behind the arc.
Mercer shot 49.1 percent from the field (27-for-55).
Sheldon Coley had a game-high 29 points for the Buccaneers (8-8, 4-1). He made 11 of 22 field goal attempts and was 6-for-8 from the foul line. Micah Williams added 18 points and Justin Tubbs had 12.
- Mercer defeats East Tennessee State 83-78
- The 10 highest-paid college basketball coaches
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook