Southern U defeats Grambling State 73-67
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Earnest Jones scored 18 points to lead Southern University to a 73-67 win over Grambling State on Saturday night.
Jones added seven rebounds for the Jaguars (3-12, 1-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who snapped a two-game losing streak. Norm Nixon Jr. finished with 16 points and eight rebounds in the win.
Two made free throws from Nixon tied the game at 62 with 4:24 remaining. The free throws sparked a 12-0 run for the Jaguars, and a layup from Jones made the score 72-62 with 41 seconds remaining.
Lance Fuertado led Grambling State (3-8, 1-2) with 26 points on 10 of 20 shooting. George Akpele chipped in with 16 points and six rebounds.
The Jaguars shot only 55.6 percent from the free throw line (15-for-27), but outrebounded the Tigers 43-31.
Southern’s bench outscored Grambling State’s 21-3.
- Christian Laettner tries to make amends for infamous stomp
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs