Georgia Southern upsets Western Carolina 81-76
STATESBORO, Ga. (AP)—Willie Powers scored 19 points and Georgia Southern snapped an eight-game losing streak with an 81-76 upset of Western Carolina on Saturday.
Rory Spencer and Antonio Hanson each scored 18 points for the Eagles (4-13, 1-3 Southern Conference). All of Hanson’s points came on 3-point shots.
The Eagles broke open a close game with a 16-0 run in the first half to lead 32-17 after a layup by Spencer with 5:41 remaining in the half. The Eagles led 39-33 at halftime and never trailed afterward.
The Eagles led 77-76 with 54 seconds remaining in the game before closing out with a 5-0 run. Powers scored four points in that stretch.
The Catamounts (12-3, 2-1), who had only lost to Clemson and Texas before Saturday, were led by Kendall Russell with 18 points. Brandon Giles added 13 points, Jake Robinson had 12 and Mike Williams had 10.
- Georgia Southern upsets Western Carolina 81-76
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four