Akron routs Bowling Green 71-45
AKRON, Ohio (AP)—Jimmy Conyers scored 16 points and Akron beat Bowling Green 71-45 on Saturday night in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams.
It was the 11th win in the past 12 games in the series for the Zips (11-4), who have won 11 of 13 since opening the season 0-2.
Steve McNees added 11 points, and reserves Chris McKnight and Steve Swiech each scored 10 points. The defending conference tournament champion Zips got 32 points from its reserves and scored 28 points off 21 Bowling Green turnovers.
The Zips made 42.9 percent of their 3-point shots (9 of 21), but went 6-for-7 (85.7 percent) in the second half.
The Falcons shot only 27.7 percent from the field (13-for-47) and were outscored 39-17 in the second half.
Joe Jakubowski scored 17 points and was the only player in double figures for the Falcons (7-6), who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
- A forgotten aspect of John Wooden: His impact on race relations
- Kansas-Kentucky highlights SEC/Big 12 Challenge field
- Evan Maxwell transferring from Liberty to Kansas
- North Texas AD Rick Villarreal stepping down after 16 years
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped