Jacksonville defeats Stetson 80-70
DELAND, Fla. (AP)—Ben Smith scored 10 of his 23 points in the final 3:58 to lead Jacksonville past Stetson 80-70 on Friday night.
Smith, who has scored 20 or more in six straight games, was 12 of 13 from the free throw line.
Travis Cohn added 13 points and Glenn Powell and Tevin Galvin scored 11 each for the Dolphins (5-8, 2-3 Atlantic Sun Conference).
Jacksonville led 35-30 at halftime after holding the Hatters to 25.9 percent in the first half (7 of 27), including missing 11 straight shots to open the game.
A.J. Smith, who finished with 21 points, made Stetson’s first field goal with 9:17 left in the first half to pull the Hatters (3-10, 1-4) within 21-13.
Smith, who scored 11 points in the first 11 minutes of the second half, gave Stetson a 48-46 lead on a layup with 9:56 left.
Jacksonville, however, reclaimed the lead for good, 61-59, on Cohn’s layup with 4:48 remaining.
- Jacksonville defeats Stetson 80-70
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2