Saint Mary’s cruises past San Francisco 83-62
SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—Mickey McConnell scored 18 and Omar Samhan added 17 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots, and Saint Mary’s beat cold-shooting San Francisco 83-62 Friday night in the West Coast Conference opener for both schools.
Samhan posted his ninth double-double of the season. The Gaels (14-2, 1-0 WCC) led 46-22 at halftime, and all of their starters reached double figures.
Kwame Vaughn scored 14 points to lead USF (5-11, 0-1). Leading scorer Dior Lowhorn never found a rhythm and was held to eight points on 2-for-11 shooting in 19 minutes.
Ben Allen added 12 points and a career-high 14 rebounds and freshman Matthew Dellavedova dished out a season-best eight assists to go with 13 points and two steals for the Gaels, who shot 55 percent.
Saint Mary’s has won four straight games since losing to Southern California at the Diamond Head Classic on Dec. 23.
- NCAA finds that UConn committed eight major violations
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case