Louisiana-Lafayette defeats North Texas 74-72
LAFAYETTE, La. (AP)—Tyren Johnson scored 20 points and Louisiana Lafayette defeated North Texas 74-72 on Thursday.
Chris Gradnigo added 18 points, Randell Daigle had 14 and Johnson had two steals and two blocks for the Ragin’ Cajuns (4-11, 1-3 Sun Belt Conference).
The Ragin’ Cajuns scored 28 points off 22 turnovers and held the Mean Green to 34.8 percent shooting in the first half (8 of 23).
Daigle hit a 3-pointer to put Louisiana-Lafayette up 69-62 with 1:13 remaining. The Mean Green (9-6, 2-3) pulled within 72-70 on a 3 by Josh White with 12 seconds left, but couldn’t pull ahead.
Daigle sealed the win for the Ragin’ Cajuns on two free throws with 10 seconds left.
George Odufuwa had a double-double for North Texas, scoring 15 points and grabbing 12 rebounds.
Shannon Shorter, White and Richard Thomas scored 14 points each and Tristan Thomas added 11 for the Mean Green.
- Ian Eagle shares the origin story of Bill Raftery's 'Onions!'
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game