Jacksonville State beats Eastern Kentucky 68-65
JACKSONVILLE, Ala. (AP)—Stephen Hall scored 18 points and Trenton Marshall added 17 to help Jacksonville State defeat Eastern Kentucky 68-65 on Thursday night.
The Gamecocks (11-5, 4-1 Ohio Valley Conference) led by as many as 27-15 with 6:04 left in the first half. But Eastern Kentucky (5-9, 1-3) pulled within 31-27 at halftime on a 3-pointer by Justin Stommes with 49 seconds left.
The Colonels opened the second half with five straight to lead for the first time at 32-31 on Stommes’ three-point play 55 seconds into the half.
Eastern Kentucky led by as many as 54-48 on Joshua Jones’ 3 with 7:44 to go. But Jacksonville State answered with a 9-2 run. Marshall’s jumper capped the run with 3:26 left to put the Gamecocks ahead for good at 57-56.
The Gamecocks shot 55 percent from the field (22 of 40) to snap a two-game losing streak.
Stommes finished with 20 points for Eastern Kentucky.
- Jacksonville State beats Eastern Kentucky 68-65
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four