Alabama State defeats Grambling State 70-55
GRAMBLING La. (AP)—Byron Walker scored 20 points and Alabama State defeated Grambling State 70-55 in the Southwestern Conference opener for both teams on Monday night.
The Hornets (4-8) shot 42.9 percent (15 of 35) and held the Tigers to 33.3 percent (9 of 27) in the first half for a 33-19 lead.
Tied at 19-19 with 3:43 left until halftime, Alabama State finished the first half with 14 unanswered points. Tramaine Butler finished the run on a 3-pointer with 38 seconds left for the halftime score.
Alabama State opened the second half on a 14-4 run for a 47-23 lead on a layup by Christopher Duncan with 15:14 remaining.
Butler finished with 18 points and eight rebounds, and Robert Sanders added eight rebounds for the Hornets, who won the battle of the boards 41-28.
Donald Qualls scored 24 points and Lance Fuertado finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers.
- Alabama State defeats Grambling State 70-55
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina