South Alabama defeats Florida Atlantic 96-93 in OT
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP)—Tim Williams scored 23 points to lead South Alabama to a 96-93 overtime victory over Florida Atlantic on Saturday night.
Bryan Sherrer added 21 points for the Jaguars (11-4, 3-0 Sun Belt Conference), who have won three in a row. Allyn Cooks also contributed 20 points.
Trailing 85-80 with 24 seconds left in regulation, Williams nailed a 3 to cut the Owls’ lead to two. Raymond Taylor was then fouled, but made only 1 of 2 free throws. Williams then hit another 3 to tie the game at 86 with 17 seconds left to force overtime.
In the overtime period, South Alabama went on an 8-2 run and took a 96-91 lead with 27 seconds remaining to secure the win.
Brett Royster scored 20 points to lead Florida Atlantic (5-9, 1-2), which has lost five straight. Freshman Raymond Taylor added 18 points and a career-high 13 assists.
- South Alabama defeats Florida Atlantic 96-93 in OT
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina