Eastern Kentucky beats Tennessee State 79-71
RICHMOND, Ky. (AP)—Spencer Perrin scored 14 points and had two steals in a key run to help Eastern Kentucky defeat Tennessee State 79-71 on Saturday night.
The Colonels (9-5, 2-1 Ohio Valley Conference) trailed 63-61 with 3:24 left and Perrin made a three-point play with 3:04 remaining to put the Colonels ahead 64-63.
The Tigers (3-11, 0-3) answered with a jumper by Josh Sain to tie it with 2:37 left, but then turned the ball over twice to help East Kentucky pull away.
After Justin Stommes’ free throw, Perrin had a steal and made two free throws, then grabbed another steal leading to a three-point play by Papa Oppong for a 70-65 Colonels’ lead with 1:35 to play.
All five starters scored in double figures for the Colonels as Josh Taylor had 17 points, Stommes 16, Oppong 14 and Joshua Jones had 13.
Sain led the Tigers with 13 points in their third-straight loss.
- Eastern Kentucky beats Tennessee State 79-71
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina