Baker leads Florida Gulf Coast over Belmont 66-63
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Reed Baker scored 14 points and Florida Gulf Coast held off Belmont 66-63 on Saturday.
The Eagles (5-7, 2-1 Atlantic Sun Conference) have won five of their last six games while the Bruins (7-6, 2-1), who lost to No. 1 Kansas 81-51 on Tuesday, extended their skid to four straight.
Florida Gulf Coast led by seven in the first half and 28-26 at halftime. The Eagles pushed the lead to 36-28 with 17:12 left, but Belmont used a 10-0 run, capped by a Drew Hanlen 3-pointer, to move ahead 38-36 with 14:19 left.
Florida Gulf Coast built another eight-point lead, which the Bruins cut to 57-54 with 3:50 remaining. Ian Clark’s 3-pointer with 39 seconds to go made it 65-63, but Mick Hedgepeth missed two free throws with 3 seconds left that could have tied it. Kyle Marks hit one of two fouls shots with 1 second to go.
Clark and Jordan Campbell scored 15 points apiece for Belmont.
- Butler's Matt Howard suffers this season's bloodiest injury
- Hield's 3-pointer lifts No. 3 Oklahoma past No. 24 Texas
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee
- White-hot Warney leads Stony Brook past Hartford 85-72