North Texas 56, Arkansas St. 71
JONESBORO, Ark. (AP)—Brandon Reed scored 25 points to lead Arkansas State to a 71-56 victory over North Texas Saturday night.
Martavius Adams added 16 points for the Red Wolves (7-6, 2-1 Sun Belt), and Rashad Allison had 12.
Tristan Thompson scored 18 points to lead North Texas (9-5, 2-2). George Odufuwa added 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds.
Early North Texas turnovers helped the Red Wolves build a 12-2 lead in the first four minutes. Arkansas State did not relinquish the lead and took a 32-22 cushion into the break.
After a basket by Thompson made it 45-33, Arkansas exploded for a 13-5 run capped by a dunk by Adams on a fast break with 8:45 left.
North Texas never got any closer than 14-points the rest of the game. The Mean Green were held to a season-low 33-percent shooting. Their 56 points were also a season-low.
- North Texas 56, Arkansas St. 71
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?