Balanced San Diego State routs Pomona-Pitzer 89-54
SAN DIEGO (AP)—Kawhi Leonard had game highs of 17 points and 12 rebounds to lead San Diego State past Pomona-Pitzer 89-54 on Thursday.
Leonard was one of six Aztecs to score in double figures. Malcolm Thomas had 15 points, Billy White and Brian Carlwell 13 each, Alec Williams 11 and D.J. Gay 10.
The Aztecs (11-3) have won eight of their last nine and matched their best 14-game start in 25 years.
The Division III Sagehens (4-5) stayed close for a half, trailing 40-31 at intermission. But San Diego State went on a 13-1 run to start the second half, outscoring Pomona-Pitzer 49-23 over the final 20 minutes.
Adam Chaimowitz led the Sagehens with 16 points, while Donald Okpalugo added 10.
San Diego State has won 12 straight home games overall and 22 consecutive home games against teams from California dating to a loss to St. Mary’s on Dec. 14, 2004.
- Breakfast Buffet: Terrence Jones wants to be the next Rick Fox
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four