South Alabama knocks off Fla. International 71-59
MIAMI (AP)—Tim Williams scored 18 points as South Alabama avoided a letdown from an upset win at Florida and defeated Florida International 71-59 on Thursday.
In their first game since defeating the 18th-ranked Gators on Dec. 22, the Jaguars scored 13 unanswered points and held the Golden Panthers scoreless in the final 6:23 of the first half.
Williams keyed the run with nine points, helping South Alabama (10-4, 2-0 Sun Belt Conference) to a 31-16 halftime lead.
LaShun Watson’s two free throws 5:55 into the second half increased the Jaguars’ advantage to 41-23.
FIU (4-12, 1-2) responded with eight straight points in the next 2:16 as Marvin Roberts scored all the points during the run.
But the Jaguars maintained their double-digit lead the rest of the game.
Roberts scored 26 of his game-high 29 points in the second half.
- South Alabama knocks off Fla. International 71-59
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- Five biggest winners now that the NBA draft's early-entry deadline has passed
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done